Good I have something called ramblings

Was reading an article recently on us requiring another planet by 2030 & could help but wonder of our own naivety than other things like stupidity which does fall into the list. Here we are not able to take care of one while we’re already dreaming of getting another. I talk about saving the world yet ride a bullet, I talk about recycling to move in that direction yet open a pack of chips (such packs being non recyclable) & I talk about working towards population control and see new abandoned infants every week at the Juvenile home. Are we really searching for a solution or heading to a solution which none of us accept as what is inevitable yet knowing that its probably closer to the truth than anything else.

Its amazing how the mind works, for next week is the largest IPO in India and well its in the energy segment – wonderful that millions of people (including me) will be investing & hoping for an increase in the share value (which would happen only if we consume more energy! ) while not realising (or realising and not caring anyway) that this happens to be a non renewable energy resource which stats have shown, we’ll run out of by 2050 (or 2060, 2070 – depends on which report you want to go by). Energy consumption is definitely going up, so my stocks will definitely go up; the resource is going to become more scarce so my stocks will go up; seems a brilliant investment (& it probably is!) but is it the right investment to make? By investing, I’m also signing up to pollute more, I’m signing up to cause more destruction and by investing, I’m putting in money into an energy source other than renewable forms which in the long term is what will adversely affect me & the entire globe.

While the world thinks of issues like running out of petroleum in another 30-50 years, we don’t seem to be thinking fast enough about renewable sources. & so petroleum prices go up and we grumble and dig deeper into our pockets. I wonder if this is really how everyone envisions it. Logically, considering we’re tapping into an area of land covering about ¼ of what is actually available, I think we’ll be heading over to what we’ve yet to discover that below the oceans and the lands below that. We’re a long way off from actually drying up our oil reserves but its much better that we think that way I guess. Its fun to try and figure whether both thoughts are true (or false) yet root for one not because the lie is probably what would wake up the world. Its similar to think from 20000 feet above ground knowing you’ll get a good perspective of things but hating it because you prefer getting down to the details which you know will actually give you the answers while also thinking about Wilde and his theory of detailing.

No comments: